Monday, February 28, 2011

The end is nigh!

Or so I thought!

I was 18 years old when Arsenal beat Manchester United 5-4 on penalties to win the FA Cup final in 2005. Having seen them romp to the title without dropping a single match the previous season and then relinquish the title to Chelsea, it seemed only fair that they should win something that year as well. My little knowledge about Arsenal's history had me believe that winning was a norm at Arsenal and it was something I could get used to.

I did not have an Arsenal jersey back then though I remember wishing that I did. I stood transfixed in front of the television as the players lifted the trophy and beckoned to Thierry Henry (who missed out due to injury) to join them in the celebrations.

Six years hence, I stand here in front of another television after yet another final. This time I have a jersey. What I do not have is a victory to rejoice. A defensive error in the 89th minute had gifted Birmingham City a 2-1 win in the 2011 Carling Cup final.

In 2005, I was only two seasons old as an Arsenal fan and I was under the belief that success was a way of life. Six years hence, I have grown up with the team, watching them improve individually and as a unit. I have rejoiced with every win, grimaced at every defeat, shed tears at every heartbreak. I have spent six seasons keeping the faith and then in the ensuing summer getting over the disappointment and consoling myself with the promise of the following year.

They say that you have to lose something to realize what its worth. But that's not true. Its not that you don't value what you have when it is still yours. It is that when you have it, it does not occur to you that you'll ever lose it. The thing about being the Invincibles is that you have to be invincible. In six seasons since 2005, Arsenal have been anything but.

Promise, quality, talent, faith, belief, maturity, tiki taka, ole ole one touches all amount to nothing if the trophies aren't wearing Arsenal ribbons at the end of the season. How long can Arsenal claim to be a work in progress? What is the point of flair football if you're bound to remain perennial underachievers, nearly men?

But as with other things in life, I guess we have to live in perpetual hope. There is always another match, another tournament. There is always next season. So much for keeping the faith.

WHEREVER. FOREVER. ARSENAL.

2 comments: