Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Not just another match!

Words fail me.

I badly want to write something. I know I had decided before I commenced with the blog that I would only write when I felt like but it's India versus Pakistan for Christ's sake. It warrants an entry!

Ever since the quarterfinal draw was made and the possibility of such a clash was revealed, I have been waiting for this tie. As far as cricket is concerned, it really doesn't get bigger. Even the Ashes, for all its grandeur, pales in comparison. India vs Pakistan is the cricketer's equivalent of the El Clasico!

Before India took on Pakistan in the 2003 World Cup, Ganguly insisted it was just another match. Sachin reiterated his captain's line. Shoaib Akhtar also said it. Waqar Younis repeated it as well. A national daily observed that when so many players feel the need to say that, it only means one thing. That it is not just another match. Because when India clash with Pakistan, it is never just another match.

If anything, that was a group match. Eight years later, the odds are even bigger. While India vs Pakistan is big in itself, throw in the setting of a semifinal and it goes out of the roof.

MS Dhoni realizes that. After beating Australia to secure qualification into the semis, he spoke about the next match. Indians won't care as much if we lose a World Cup final but we CANNOT lose to Pakistan. His very words!

India have never lost to Pakistan in World Cups. NEVER. I hope we keep that record intact.

And I hope Sachin shows Akhtar again ki baap baap hota hai!

No comments:

Post a Comment